Thursday, March 3, 2011

Childhood

When I was thirteen my Aunt Nancy worked at a big printing company and would sometimes bring me large scraps of paper. I didn't have any real art supplies so I would draw with my dad's ballpoint pens. I loved drawing... but not the drawings, so when I was finished I would always throw them away. When my mom saw this dragon she liked it well enough to rescue it from the trash and even enter it in a community art contest four years later. I always hated games and contests and so my parents had to force me to go and collect the first prize. I remember being completely embarrassed by what to me was now this "little kid" drawing. I was by then an adult high school student after all. I must admit that I was thrilled though when I found out about the $50.00 worth of art supplies that were part of my winnings. We didn't have art classes at our school and I remember carefully trying to figure out how they all worked. I always wanted to use them sparingly so that they might last me until I was old enough to buy more.

This is one of only a few surviving pieces of my childhood art found stored away in a box that my mother had saved for me until she passed away in 2002.

9 comments:

  1. That is Crazy good. Love your work Kent Truly~T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks T, It's fun to look back sometimes to see what has changed and what still remains in my work. ~Kent

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did this at age 13? Amazing!! And what a great story! :)
    Post more please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kent, long time no see. I remember this story, great to see the artwork!

    Kate
    http://cholulared.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kent, always been a big fan of your work, can't believe I've discovered your blog just now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for posting this kent! i also remember you telling me this story one night when i was working late. it is great to see what you were talking about. hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kent, always have been a big fan of your work - slowly discovering more of your work and seeing your style. Lovin' it! You're a true inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete